Zipcar has been operating in the Midtown area of Detroit for over two years. On at least two occasions they have over charged my account without adequate explanation.

The most recent involves a $50 late fee which I requested them to wave since there was no one inconvenienced due to what they said was a ten minute late arrival. It took them over two days to address my request and refused to refund the money although I have been a loyal customer for two years. In addition to refusing to refund the $50 they also falsely accused me of returning the vehicle late on four other rentals which had never been stated before. They then in the same e-mail threatened to review my account if I was late again for possible closure.

This is no way to run such a business. It appears as if the company is having financial problems. Rates for rental have increased. When I asked about the increase over a year ago they did not respond.

After their office in downtown Detroit was closed last summer I inquired and expressed my concern as a customer and they again refused to respond. This problem was magnified when my zip card became inoperable last year. I could not go to a local office to have it replaced. Although they said it would take 3-5 days to mail out another card, in actuality it took them ten days.

Is there any competition for car sharing? They badly need competitors.

I understand that automotive firms are looking at how to entire the car sharing business. Zipcar needs to be run out of business for their horrendous service which includes dirty vehicles, the lack of maintenance and the overcharging of customers.

Product or Service Mentioned: Zipcar Account.

I didn't like: No response to emails, Poor customer service, How unprofessional the representative was, Dirty cars.

Comments

Sounds like poor customer attitude to me. Bring back a rental car late, and you pay. Hope they drop you.